Monday Munchies...

One of my daily Instagram checks is The Doughmestic Housewife, and not only does she create absolutely stunning royal icing cookies, she also makes fabulous cookie cakes with her to-die-for cake writing and decorations! Take a look...





 

When I would see these cakes, I was reminded that my local grocery store, Stop and Shop, had the yummiest cookie cakes-but we can't eat them anymore because they may contain traces of nuts.  So, I kind of forgot about how awesome those cookie cakes were-until my first trip to Hobby Lobby where I scored a pan meant for baking these delicacies! Of course, my arm doesn't have to be twisted too much, and when our friend asked when I was making the crock pot Chinese chicken, I suggested they stop over for some belated birthday celebrations (his wife and myself) and we'd have both the chicken and the cookie cake!  The cake was super easy to make, and I will definitely be making this again, but dare I say-reducing the chocolate chips say what?!? Yes, if you love chocolate, this is for sure a winner! As usual, I made my dough the night before, it was simple, easy clean up, and super yummy.   

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie 
1 cup butter, softened 
3/4 cup white sugar 
3/4 cup packed brown sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
2 eggs 
21/4 cups flour 
1 teaspoon salt  
1 teaspoon baking soda 
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) 

I made this recipe non-dairy, so I substituted margarine for butter, and I used non-dairy chocolate chips.  I also omitted the nuts.  

In a mixer, beat the butter (margarine), sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.

Add flour, salt, and baking soda and mix well.  Incorporate chocolate chips and nuts if you so desire. 

Spread into a 14 inch round "pizza" pan, and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.  The time is just a guideline, the top should be brown and have more of a cooked look.  I was afraid, based on how brown it got in order for the entire cookie to be baked, that it would be burnt, but it was pure perfection.  




 After seeing all of Holly's goodies, I was itching to work with buttercream again, but I wanted to try a new recipe, as my old one wasn't doing it for me anymore.  So, I found what claimed to be an easy, fast and delicious recipe.  

2 lbs. unsalted butter at room temperature 
2 lbs. powdered sugar 
1-2 Tablespoons vanilla extract 
1 Teaspoon sea salt 
1 cup egg white 

Again, I made this non-dairy, so I used margarine.  

Whip the egg whites and sugar on high for five minutes.  Then add the butter (margarine) in chunks, then add the vanilla and salt.  Whip it for an additional 8-10 minutes until light and shiny.  

People raved about this recipe, but I have to say, I didn't love it-for a few reasons.  First of all, it has uncooked egg whites; which means it's problematic for people with allergies (like my daughter!!!How could I forget?!?) and pregnant women. It also can't be left out for more than 24 hours, and typically these items don't go back in the refrigerator, so I left it out without realizing!  Even though the recipe said it was easy for piping, I found it difficult to write with.  I also found it had a whipped egg texture and an egg taste.  I definitely won't be making the frosting again. The cookie however, will definitely be making an appearance again!  



Follow me on Instagram to see more of my baking and every day happenings!

UPDATE: I made the Chinese crock pot chicken  and although it was good, the coating wasn't your typical Chinese texture, but it was definitely yummy.  It takes time to cut the chicken, and coat it, but it was a crowd pleaser, so I could definitely see myself making this again by special request. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Website + Branding Design by Christi Fultz